Skip to main content

BIRTHDAY CHRONICLES

A cry of the Unborn

Photo courtesy of Internet
Today I celebrate me, the birth of me, the day I made my first sound, the day I witnessed the first lovely smile, the day I felt the first pure, genuine and true love of a mother and the day I was truly accepted into a family.

This is the day a name was chosen for me, a name that appear on all my records, a name that I stick with and answer to all my life without complaining.

A day like this in the 1990s, I was initiated into the societal rules and regulations that I knew nothing about. A race was decided for me, a tribe, a religion, a language, a country and most of it all, I was expected to behave in a certain way immediately after my birth.

On this day, my gender, dress code and my gender roles in the society were ruled out. In some communities, this is the day my bride price was decided and my fate in life concluded. All without my knowledge. As I quietly wrapped my hands around my mother’s finger, innocently smiling, my life was decided but I am not complaining though. How can I do that?

Luckily, today I have a chance to decide how I will celebrate the day I was born. A birthday is the most important day in a person’s life. Almost everyone, if not all people have some deep feeling and memories attached to this day. It commemorates the beautiful events that took place on the first day a person stepped into the world. It’s a celebration of growing older and most importantly growing wiser.

Although birthday celebrations are quite similar in countries across the world, not everyone celebrates their birthday the same way. Different people do this differently based on their understanding, beliefs and traditions of a day of birth. Some will wake up to a special treat, others showered with presents and surprise parties while others will shave their heads as a symbol of a birthday celebration.

Well, today I decided to celebrate mine with my pen, paper and keyboard. Today I shower myself with reflections, evaluation and self-analysis of where I am today vis a vis to where I was 5 years back. That is how I choose to celebrate mine today.

As I quietly answer to a name I did not choose, stick to gender roles I didn’t choose and fulfilling societal expectations, I also choose to be the cry of the the unborn. Who’s to blame? Well, we’ll have to find out.

Today I celebrate me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is your Social Media Saying?

ONLINE ACTIVITIES: YOUR ULTIMATE BUILDER OR BREAKER. Photo:Credits Are you always missing out on those big interviews that you know you were more than qualified for? Are you not receiving interview emails after a thousand applications? The problem could be your social media platforms. How well do you present yourself in the public limelight? Are your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts professional? Do they reflect a job seeking individual? Your online social media accounts could be your resume in this social media age. Social media is becoming a big aspect of everyone’s life. People who neglect to build and maintain a strong social media presence may miss out on big opportunities. It is the social media that public figures, product brands and companies run to, whenever they need to know where they are placed in the public eye.  On the other hand the social media serves as a CV for any job seekers. What you post on your Facebook account reflec...

LEADERSHIP

Now Introducing The 10 Commandments of A Great Leadership Style Photo Credits Managing a team sounds simple right? Just sharpening your leadership skills , then giving out few instructions and making sure people are following them to the letter, right? Contrary to your belief, leading a successful team is much more complicated than it appears. Think of it this way… We all bring something different to the table in a team. And every player in team has a role to play. And for this reason, I am going to share something about leadership that I believe will move you from being a follower leader to a powerful influencing leader. Let’s now have a look at the 10 Commandments of an effective leadership style 1. Thou shall Lead by an example Respect as a leader is earned not given. You must first create a good picture & vision in the minds of your followers by paving a way that they can follow for you to earn this respect. Fail at this, and your leadership pl...